- Links and Contact
- Digital Projects
- Employment history
Links and Contact
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Gmail: drgavinrobinson
- Twitter: @merozcursed
- Humanities Commons
- ORCID 0000-0003-3818-8996
- Horses, People and Parliament in the English Civil War: Extracting Resources and Constructing Allegiance (Hardback: Ashgate, 2012; paperback: Routledge, 2017).
- 'The Military Value of Horses and the Social Value of the Horse in Early Modern England' in Peter Edwards, Elspeth Graham and Karl Enenkel (eds), The Horse as Cultural Icon (Leiden, Brill, 2011), pp. 351–76.
- 'Equine Battering Rams? A Reassessment of Cavalry Charges in the English Civil War', Journal of Military History 75/3 (July 2011), pp. 719–31.
- 'Horse Supply and the Development of the New Model Army, 1642–1646', War in History 15/2 (April 2008), pp. 121–40. (Open Access PDF with new preface.)
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that if you buy from Amazon after clicking on the links above, I will get a share of the revenue.
- November 2017, BCMH New Research in Military History conference, Cambridge: chair and organizer, Allegiance and Dispossession in the European Religious Wars panel.
- July 2017, BCMH Russet Coated Soldiers conference, Newark:
- Chair, Strategy and Tactics panel.
- Presented, 'The Operational Mobility of Essex's Army and the New Model Army'.
- May 2008, FORWARD Symposium, Nottingham: presented, 'Social-Political Animals: Humans and Non-Humans in Early-Modern Society'.
- PhD in History, Reading University, 2001. Thesis: 'Horse Supply in the English Civil War 1642–1646'.
- MA in Military History, Leeds University, 1996.
- BA first class honours in History, Reading University, 1995.
- Admin at Linking Experiences of World War One.
- Curator at Six Degress of Francis Bacon.
- Contributor at Marine Lives.
- Contributor at GB1900.
- Contributor at Lives of the First World War.
- Community moderator at Your Archives.
- Beta tester for From the Page collaborative transcription software.
- Peer reviewer for The Programming Historian, 1st edition.
- Sandall’s History of 1/5th Lincolnshire Regiment: A Digital Edition. I produced this digital edition of an out of copyright regimental history of the First World War using TEI XML and the Exhibit API.
- 2013–2018: Director, Different Hand Ltd. Manuscript transcription and correction, data cleaning, indexing, research assistance, project management.
- 2016–2017: casual data inputter, Cambridge Population Group. Checking census data against document images, data cleaning and record linkage.
- 2008–2013: Freelance manuscript transcriber. I worked on these projects:
- 2012: 1624 Parliament project (History of Parliament Trust) transcribing the diary of Richard Dyott MP.
- 2012: pilot for Mortality and Epidemiological Change in Manchester, 1750-1850 (Newcastle University and Cambridge Population Group).
- 2011–12: The Origins of the Modern Demographic Regime: Infant Mortality by Social Status in Georgian London (Newcastle University and Cambridge Population Group).
- 2008–09: Life in the Suburbs (Centre for Metropolitan History and Cambridge Population Group).
If you click a link to Amazon, then Amazon may set cookies but I have no control over this.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.