Dr Gavin Robinson: Business Information

Last updated: 28 April 2019.

I am a sole trader working under my own name in the UK. I previously owned and ran Different Hand Ltd but I wound the company up because of changes to tax rules, and to save accountant's fees.

Working Methods

UK Tax Compliance

I do not charge VAT as I am well under the threshold for compulsory registration, I have no intention of registering voluntarily, and my services are not classed as e-services. If your institution is in the UK, my services should be classed as outside the scope of VAT on purchase orders and invoices.

I am self-employed. This means that your institution has no tax liabilities and should not deduct any tax or National Insurance from my fees. My contracts and working methods are designed to rigorously comply with disguised employment rules so that there is no risk of either party having to pay National Insurance or penalties. I can supply any evidence your admins need to prove that I am properly self-employed.

If these conditions can't be met, I can also work as an employee or casual worker. For example, if you need right of control because what you want doing could change, if the project involves collaborating through your web server, or if I need an hourly rate because the cost is impossible to predict accurately. I can't mix employment and self-employment for the same institution.

US Tax Compliance

I am exempt from withholding because I work outside the US. I can complete any forms or statements that your admins need to document this.

No sales tax will be charged because I am providing services outside the US.